Tuesday, December 29, 2015
Rookie's Corner 2 - Mistakes will be made
Here is a short list of mistakes you will make when learning how to play this game. It is important to recognise (and I must emphasise this) that I have personally made none of these mistakes. Ever.
- The kicker nominates his kicking player before the opposing team deploys.
- On kick-off your nominated player still rolls their kick dice after placing the ball completely within their kick range. A successful roll (i.e. a single 4+ on any dice) allows a reroll of the scatter.
- The reroll of the scatter is a reroll in it's entirety. You cannot choose to only reroll the direction or distance; both must be rerolled.
- You can pre-measure any and all distances regardless of model ownership. Distances measured do not have to be model-to-model.
- Activations alternate unless dumb Masons want to screw you with Harmony or you suck and all your guys are dead.
- Don't forget to bring your Taken Out models back on in the Maintenance Phase. Make sure you mark Icy Sponges correctly.
- Forgetting to allocated INF is terrible and you should feel terrible for not thinking hard enough at the start of your turn.
- Pushes are made in 1" increments in any direction. A playbook result of >> is two 1" Pushes. You can Push 0" (zero inches). Pushes must be performed in a straight line.
- Similarly Dodges are made in 1" increments, however Dodges can 'curve' around models (they do not have to be in a straight line).
- A Momentous Dodge shall hereafter be officially known as a Momentous Doge.
- You can voluntarily kick the ball to empty space. You can voluntarily kick the ball off the table (by effectively scattering it 1" in any direction from open ground.
- A player leaving the field for any reason (exception: may not voluntarily leave the table) is Taken Out.
- Snapshot! does not require INF expenditure from the kicking model.
- A model can be healed twice in a turn - once from Take a Breather Lad! and once from Come on Mate! - using Momentum.
- Use tokens to mark effects when they are applied such as Bleed or Knock Down.
- A missed shot on goal scatters somewhat bizarrely from the middle of the goal token. Good luck figuring that out on a beautifully modelled goal. Precision fail.
- Kicks do not scatter in a line from your model to where you placed your kick to where it scatters. The ball travels in a straight line from the kicking model to the final resting point as determined by the scatter.
- You cannot intercept a ball that is Thrown In.
- You permanently gain an additional point of INF during allocation for every goal scored.
And finally - TICK UP YOUR MOMENTUM FIRST WHEN YOU EARN IT SO THAT YOU DON'T FORGET!